Visa Lawyer in Toronto & GTA

Temporary residence in Canada usually requires you to hold one of a few different kinds of visas. The application process for visas and permits can be a little overwhelming, and if you have faced obstacles and barriers, you may be looking for a visa lawyer in Toronto and the GTA. Jasmin Sandhu Law has lots of experience handling visas of all complexities. We offer a wide variety of services relating to temporary residence, and we can help you out today!

Check out the information below to find out more about the areas we can assist you with regarding visas and temporary residence in Canada.

Different Types of Temporary Residence in Canada

Whether you’re looking to work, study, live, or travel through Canada, there are many ways that you can apply for temporary residence in the country. Options include work and study permits, visitor visas, and the ETA (Electronic Travel Authorization) program.

The eligibility for a visa depends on various circumstances, including the length and nature of your trip, and your country of origin. Below you will find more information regarding temporary residence visas and permits.

Application For a Work Permit

If you are looking to work and live in Canada, then you’re likely to need a work permit (though some exceptions do exist). A work permit allows temporary workers, students, business owners, and caregivers the legal right to reside in Canada for the purpose of work. You are usually required to have this document before you arrive.

There are different programs and pathways under which you can apply for or are eligbile to apply for a work permit.

Examples of work permits available in Canada include:

  • Temporary foreign workers
  • Caregivers (this includes anyone applying through the Live-In Caregiver program)
  • Agricultural workers
  • Students
  • International Experience Canada
  • Anyone transferring from another branch of an international company

There are specific requirements for each kind of permit, and most need to be applied for outside of Canada. If you’re worried or struggling to compile your application to meet all the requirements, Jasmin Sandhu Law can help. We have lots of experience dealing with work permit applications!

Application For a Study Permit

Studying in Canada can give you access to the high-quality education system in the country. A study permit allows you to study at a designated learning institution (DLI), and almost all foreign nationals will need to acquire one if they plan to study here. Note: a study permit is not the same as a visa, and you will still need either a visa or ETA to be allowed entry into the country.

To apply for a study permit, you will need the following:

  • Proof of acceptance from your DLI
  • Proof of identity, i.e., a passport or travel document
  • Proof of financial support

There are other requirements, i.e., depending on the location of your DLI, and if you’re looking for advice on the application process, Jasmin Sandhu Law has been dealing with study permit applications for years!

Application For a Visitors Visa

A visitor visa, or tourist visa, allows you to enter and live within Canada as a temporary visitor. Generally, you are not allowed to work while visiting on a visa but can travel at your leisure. Whether you need a visitor visa depends on the country of your birth. Many travellers into Canada are from visa-exempt countries and only need an ETA to travel.

If you required a visitor visa to travel to Canada, then we can help you out. We can provide support through the entire application process, resolve any issues, and even assist in visa renewals.

Other Kinds of Temporary Residence in Canada

The ETA, or Electronic Travel Authorization, mentioned above is another kind of temporary residence document that allows visitors from visa-exempt countries to travel in Canada for a limited amount of time. They are attached electronically to passports and can be applied for online.

Looking For an Experienced and Friendly Visa Lawyer in Toronto and the GTA? Contact Jasmin Sandhu Today!

Are you struggling with visa applications or looking to change the conditions or extend your stay in Canada?

Jasmin Sandhu Law can help! We’re a dedicated immigration law firm with experience in visa services. Get in touch now to find out more about how we can help.

visa lawyer